The nature of growth process and components of growth area, yield, cropping pattern and interaction along with new technologies were examined for different sub-periods. Methods of analysis varied from estimating simple correlations to Nerlovian adjustment lag models.
- Panchmahal Planning Cell and Agro-climatic Regional Planning (ACRP) sponsored by Planning Commission.
- Highlighted the major constraints due to the inability of development agencies to formulate production schemes relevant for area specific problems.
- Studies have addressed land and water degradation and environmental issues across the entire country and helped the policy planners to chalk out and prioritize agriculture sector development plans for disaggregated and homogenous regions.
- Ongoing research continues the earlier methodological tradition, though the focus of current research for Gujarat’s agriculture explicitly accounts for market reforms and trade liberalization.
- In current research sources of growth in agriculture and associated dimensions facilitating growth are focused.
- Studies currently are focusing on partial and total factor productivity analysis of agriculture sector to identify variations in production frontier due to technical efficiency and technological change that has recently be brought out as a monograph.
- The Institute has conducted seminars specifically focusing on agro-climatic planning and currently on developments in farm sector and resources use due to impact of economic liberalization.